Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The Future is Now

Okay, okay, so I know I promised to blog more often and I've been doing a terrible job of it, but I really have been busy, and I've been a little depressed, and I haven't had anything of lasting value to add to anything anybody else has been blogging, so I haven't blogged and I'm sorry.

So there.

There is, however, a pretty good reason for this particular post. Today, Wednesday March 28th, is New Comics Day across most of the country. And if you rush right out to your local comics shop, you might still be able to find one of the reasons I've been so busy.

It's Futurama #30 from the wonderful folks at Bongo Comics. It's my first regular straight-out humor story in Heaven knows how many years and I'm actually pretty proud of it.

When the brave-beyond-all-reason Bill Morrison first asked me to write for Bongo, I was pretty firmly convinced Simpsons creator Matt Groening had clearly whacked Bill upside the head a few too many times with the Insanity Stick. Still, never one to shirk a challenge (or a chance to work with a terrific editor), I nervously accepted the opportunity, and I'm here to tell you how happy I am that I did. It's nice to have a chance to flex a different creative muscle for a change, and to have the work well-received by the person who was foolish enough to offer it to you in the first place. It was a lot more work than I'd first imagined it would be, but as the late, great actor and director Sir Donald Wolfit reportedly said, "Writing Wolverine is easy, comedy is hard."

The issue is called "Fry and the Double-Bag, Must-Have Item" and the comics collectors among you can probably guess where the story goes from there.

I should also mention that I wrote next month's Simpsons Comics #129 as well, but I'll remind you of that when we get closer to release time. Over the weekend, I finished my second Simpsons script, and am already hard at work on the next one, so this may be the start of something big. We shall see.

Anyway, should you happen to pick up Futurama #30 at a comics shop near you, I really would appreciate it if you'd drop me a line and let me know what you thought of it.

Frankly, I need all the encouragement I can get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Len,

Sorry to hear you're feeling blue, but glad to see you're keeping busy.

I was able to buy a copy of your TREEHOUSE OF HORROR comic up at WonderCon. And a friend loaned me a trade paperback copy of your CONAN story. Looking forward to getting a chance to read them!

brunbbmerc said...

I picked up Futurama #30 and it was great. Futurama still is one of my favorite TV shows, and you managed to capture it perfectly. I bought about 50 comics (gotta love 50 cent boxes) and read Futurama first, over stuff like Batman, Action Comics, and ROM The Space Knight.

Good luck with all your future works and hopefully you can stay on Futurama for a while.

Christopher Moonlight said...

Bill knows what he's doing, and he's a great guy, but I don't need to tell you that. If he hired you, that means you're the best man for the job. Please, tell him I said hi. Also, now that it's done, would you, at any time talk about your work with Penny-Farthing press? When they first started, I went chasing Jim Steranko for them, and did a post on my blog about it.
http://christophermoonlight.blogspot.com/2007/02/chasing-jim-steranko.html