Saturday, February 24, 2007

More Than My Quota of Quotes

Well, cool.

The new Quote of the Day feature here at WeinWords seems to be functioning perfectly. Coincidently, today's quote from Lord Chesterfield: "Whatever is worth doing at all is worth doing well" reminds me of one of my own quotes from the book, Science Fictionisms, compiled by my late and dearly beloved friend, Bill Rotsler. Therein, under the section labeled Lifeisms, I said: Never be embarrassed by the things you cannot do. Be embarrassed by the things you can do and don't do well. I'm quoted on the same page as Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. and Aldous Huxley. Now what could possibly be more humbling than that?

Arguably my most famous quote appeared in Reader's Digest a number of years ago, again thanks to Bill. The quote is: A true friend is someone who is there for you, when they would rather be anywhere else. If you ever bother to Google me (which really should include dinner and drinks first), you'll find that almost a third of the absurdly large number of links there will connect you to that quote, rather than any of the serious writing I've done over the years. I find that both curious and fascinating.

Just for the heck of it, I decided to Google myself earlier (I'm hoping I'll actually call me later as I promised) and was amazed to discover a site that contains literally dozens of quotes from me, culled from various interviews I've given over the years. If you're interested and have absolutely nothing better to do, you can check them out here at BrainyQuotes.com. Many of them concern the art of writing, so I suppose they do have some value.

Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice going, Len! You gave everybody a link to go to, and they all abandoned your blog to read your quotes.

Len?

Len?

Hello-o-o-o-?